Sunday, March 30, 2008

I Can't Wait to Get Started

For the past year and a half I have worked at an after school program at a local elementary school. It has been the most amazing experience; everyday I actually look forward to going to work to see the kids. They have shown me so many things as I look back over the time I've spent in the program. I've had many learning experiences that will help me in my future as a teacher, I've had plenty of fun with the kids and my coworkers, and yet there have also been the hard times when dealing with different problems or obstacles that arise from time to time.

I really feel that this job has taught me so many things, from patience with kids while working on homework, to classroom management, to balancing fun and focus, and to working with families in a neutral and appropriate way. I've learned that when everyone is concerned with the well-being of the kids, things will fall in to place despite problems that might surface. I've watched the kids grow over the past year and I am genuinely amazed at what I've seen.

I realize more than ever that I am going into a great profession; it is challenging, rewarding, exciting, and yet at times it can be heartbreaking for a variety of reasons. I'm so excited for my future and I look forward to the good times and even the potentially bad times. I hope I can become a good teacher and I hope I can teach each kid at least one new thing everyday, whether it is regarding Shakespeare, or how to reach out to a friend in need. The possibilities of teaching are endless, and I just can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

sdlavkjlvjalsdkjfgvaslkjd said...

Julie,
I know you'll make a great teacher!You have a lot of enthusiasm and it sounds like you are very passionate about teaching! Good luck with everything; talk to you soon,
-Mark

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mark. Any one who can love working at an after school program is obviously made for teaching. I also totally feel you on the whole "balancing fun and focus" idea. Right now I am in the Teaching Poetry in the Schools class and I teach one third grade and two high school classes. It is great when they are having fun and enjoying the lesson, but I always have to be conscious of making sure that we are still focused on the poetry and not just goofing around. It's a delicate balance, because at the same time you don't want to crush their energy.